2013 In A Nut Shell!

I hope this post isn't going to end up being obnoxiously long... But 2013 was FREAKING AWESOME!  I have accomplished a million things on my checklist and 2014's checklist is already a mile long.  I thought as I step into 2014 in a matter of days I should probably go through and share what I did in 2013 that's going to prepare me for 2014!

First and foremost at the very tail end of 2012 I got engaged!  That was freaking exciting.


That was the most exciting day ever- then 2013 hit us and we left for Florida where I completed the Walt Disney World Half Marathon, first race of over 10 races I competed in this year.  After the big race we boarded a cruise ship where I joined some of my best friends for an amazing week of fun in the sun!


We got back from the cruise only to find out that Jim had made "Presidents Club" at his work and we would be flying back out to Key West for another fun filled weekend!  This was all only in January!

After all of this I decided to crack down and prepare myself for upcoming musical auditions and pageants.  I worked very hard with my vocal instructor and auditioned for all the shows that were coming to Grand Rapids Circle Theatre.  I got called back for round 2 of auditions for every show, but did not get a part.  It wasn't my time.  The good new is though that I was cast in the summer concert series they were holding called, Hits Of The 80's!  Which was a BLAST!


All the while I was still running.  Now going into 2013 I was NOT in the shape I had been in the past.  My speed was down and I struggled to run sub 8 minute miles on my training runs. I decided on a whim to run the 5/3 River Bank Run.  I literally waited til Friday afternoon and signed up which was the night before!  I crossed the finish line in 1:58 mins!  Which put me in the "2 Hour Run Club"  I was ecstatic!

I look dead because I am! haha
Next up was the National Miss Captivating pageant.  This years pageant was held in Ohio and I went in pretty nervous.  I dreamed of winning a national level pageant for years and little did I know that 2013 was the year I was going to do it.  


After the pageant my (now husband) said he thought I was going to "burn out" if I didn't slow down- I told him, "you can't accomplish things if you stop trying."  We laughed for a while about how corny that sounded but I knew what I wanted, I wanted to be faster!  At this point I was still working nights (7-midnight) on GRD.  My dream was and still is to someday be on a morning show but secondary to that would be to do afternoons or middays.  I was given the opportunity to move up in the ranks back in July and became the midday day host on GRD!  I was now on 10AM to 3PM everyday!

This whole time I had not forgot about running!  At this point I had raced probably 8 times (all being half marathons or longer!) and was steadily reaching goals each time.

A huge goal of mine was to qualify for the Boston Marathon... the elusive BQ seemed so out of reach as I ran multiple marathons hitting a 3:45 time and needing a 3:35 or faster...  I traveled to Dayton Ohio with a group of friends though and it must have been my lucky day because I made the cut and qualified for Boston with mere seconds to spare!


The fall was full of wedding stuff- planning, parties, etc. I started to feel like my goals weren't being accomplished and I was getting "comfortable"  So I made my mind up that I was going to get back under 20 minutes in a 5k before I got married.  For 2 months I did speed work once a week, and made sure to never skip a run unless.  By Novemeber 9th I was two weeks away from my wedding.  It was also the same day that I was having my hair trial for the wedding!  I signed up for a small race in Comstock Park with my friend John and decided that was the day I would break 20 minutes.  

The race was hard.  Harder than I thought it would be, my gut hurt, my legs burned, and it was pretty cold outside- about 40 degrees which was the coldest day we had, had so far.  I tried not to look at my watch the whole run, and it wasn't until the last 100 meters that I realized I was going to reach my goal if I just sprinted!  So I did, here's a pic of John and me after the race.


Immediatley following the race I "raced" over to Brindle and Blonde for my hair trial- where my fabulous friend, and hair stylist, Christopher Michael helped create what would be my wedding day 'do!
 

Not much happened between this day and my wedding day, mostly just nerves and fun stuff!  Went to go see the new Hunger Games movie (and it rocked!) I kept running, and working my fabulous shift of 10AM to 3PM!  My wedding day came and went so fast but it was easily the best day of my life.


And that takes me to today!  December 27th.  WOW I can't believe the year is almost done and it will be 2014!  I feel like I just scratched the surface of things I did this year.  I had so many other things that I got to do, went to Rock on the Range and interviewed like 15 huge rock bands!  I got to have numerous bands in the studio, I made new friends, and I almost forgot to add that I decided to audition for a musical one last time in 2013 and I got a part!  Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson- the show runs starting in February!

So long 2013, you were a good year, I am looking forward to 2014 though, to see what adventures will come!

What was your biggest accomplishment in 2014? Was it fitness related? Work related? Comment below!


6 comments

  1. Love, love, love your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so inspiring Jackie! Great job on all your accomplishments in 2013! xoxo Ren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had such a great year, friend! You are so inspiring! Lets make 2014 our best year yet :) Go get those goals!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend! We need to find a race this year and run together again! =)

      Delete

Follow @ Instagram