Navigation Bar

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tackling The Dopey Challenge

What a long, long week it was.  First I battled strep throat and had to take an entire week off running!  You can imagine what that did to me mentally, I was a mess.  If you are unfamiliar with the Dopey Challenge let me break it down. It's at Walt Disney World and it consists of a 5k, 10k, half marathon, and full marathon. Starting Thursday with the 5k and ending Sunday with the Marathon.

I didn't take anyone's advice and ran the 5k WAY too fast.  Started the first mile around 7 minutes and negative split the race until I finished with a time of 20:50 seconds.  I vowed to take the 10k slower so I wouldn't kill myself before the half and the full.



I did take it slower but not slow enough, I still clocked in at about 45 minutes which is a 7:20 pace or so.  By Saturday I was a little bit dead to say the least.  Not from running 9 miles in 2 days, I was in great shape for the distance, but because I was recovering from being super sick, and each race began at 5AM meaning we had to wake up at 3:15 everyday!



The half marathon was NOT pretty.  I ran AWFUL.  It was hot, humid and miserable.  The first 6 miles I felt fine keeping an easy 8:15 pace thinking if I feel good maybe I'll take the last few miles hard.  At the 6 mile mark I began to break down, I started to feel dehydrated and sick.  I finished the run in about 1:53, an 8:30 average.  Man it was NOT fun.


I was DREADING the marathon, all I could think was, "how the hell am I going to run 26.2 miles if I could barely run 13 yesterday!"  It was my best friend Nikki's first marathon, so I had promised to run with her and we had vowed to take it very easy.

I was a grumpy goose people.  She was super excited and ready to run and I was probably the fun vacuum just sucking everything positive from the air with my negativity.  I was just so scared that I would have that race we all dread and feel like garbage with 10 or more miles left to run.

I surprised myself though!  We took it easy clocking in around 9:30 a mile, and by mile 15 I felt good enough to go ahead and start going a tad faster, I built up speed til I was averaging under 9 a mile and finished with not a good overall time but I felt great! I finished the 26.2 mile race in about 4:25 which is damn near an hour slower than my PR, but I finished, and never stopped, so I'm calling it a win!


I took Monday off, since I was traveling most of the day, then working the second half of the day.  Then I had rehearsal for, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.  By the time I got home I was SPENT.  I checked the mailbox and there was a disc there with all my wedding photos on it... so of course I sat up and had to look at all of those!

Today will kick off my next session of training, I'll probably only get in an easy 4-5 mile run, we'll see what happens though!

As for the #makeachange challenge, I am holding strong with no pop!  I even think I dropped a couple pounds since beginning the challenge! Can't ask for more than that now can I?

UPDATE- 1/28/2104
I just got back these two photos from the race!  One is my "Dopey Finisher" photo and the other was me running with my buddy David in the Half Marathon!





10 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for doing all that! I literally dont think I could! You are an inspiration my friend! I know it was as not as you wanted, but I am glad you are still very proud of what you did, as that is a LOT for your body to take on....ESPECIALLY after a week off through strep throat! I am betting that you did not eat as much that week either! It is amazing what you did! Cant wait to see what this year has in store for you :) Hopefully we can get a race together in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! It was actually a LOT of fun, the main problem was forcing myself to go SLOW not just easy. I'm sure you know the difference but each of us has a different interpretation of "easy" well mine is like an 8 min pace, that is normally very comfortable and easy, well for the marathon I knew that wasn't going to fly after being sick and everything so I really had to force myself to go much slower than I was used to, once I found my stride though at that pace it was actually really fun! haha

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing your challenge! That's a lot of running in just 4 days ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It was too much running! HAHA, I really enjoyed myself though. I think now I'm addicted, since that was the inaugural Dopey Challenge I know am like, well if I do it next year I'll have done all of them, LOL

      Delete
  3. Awesome job, congratulations. It looks like you had a great time too and that's the best part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I read about the Dopey challenge I have been so keen to do it. I am not one to have a bucket list but I'm making an exception for this. You did fantastic. Love the photos and the outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on completing the Dopey Challenge! We have a couple of Goofys under our belts (2010, 2013), but couldn't swing another trip from Seattle to Orlando this year. The WDW races are SO EARLY! Makes the Disneyland races seem much simpler in comparison. No shuttles, and just a 15-minute walk to the start. One exception: the Wine & Dine, which starts at a very reasonable time of 10pm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! I've thought about doing the Goofy Challenge but Dopey sounds like it's way over my head. I can imagine how hard it is running smart in the shorter races when you are caught up in the heat of the moment. It's glad to see you survived. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog- you are adorable! Where are you doing Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson? I'm also a runner and musical theatre performer! I want to run those same distances this year, but not in four days! You are a beast! I recently started a "Shaping Up For Summer" link-up, which will run every Saturday through May, and I would LOVE it if you wanted to link up your fitness posts. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! I am doing Bloody Bloody at Grand Rapids Actors Theatre here in Grand Rapids Michigan. It's been really fun! I am definitely going to join your link up! Going to look at it right now!

      Delete