Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A day in the life: Here's what a day's like for me!

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.-- I find myself inspired daily by my friends and their is one who continually inspires me.  Tina is an elite runner, as well as my collegiate team mate, and most of all my friend.

Tina hates this photo but I like it, mainly because the memories of our many long bus trips.

Tina's blog, "Fuel Your Future" is a great place to check out posts on everything from elite running, dieting, clean eating, cooking recipes and more.  I find myself reading her posts and before I know it an hour has flown by and I realize I quickly need to scramble around to do something productive.

Tina inspired me the other day with a post, "A day in the life of an elite runner."  It's fascinating to me reading about what other people in different career fields do.  Most of all the post taught me her schedule, what she eats, when she crams in her work out, and how her job (which is different from most jobs) plays out.

That said, I get asked a million times a day, "when do you go to bed?!"  "What do you do all day when you get out of work?!"  "Do you nap?" That last one is my favorite question because it is the most common one.  Being a morning show reporter our schedules are a little funky, and a LOT different than most people.  So why not use my inspriation from my friend Tina and do a blog post about what my day is like!

Monday, February 16th

2:50AM- Alarm goes off.  It's so early and I didn't sleep very well last night.  Mainly because I read my book (I'm currently into, "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikery.") until 9PM, WAY too late for a Sunday night.  So I hit snooze and sleep a few more beautiful minutes.

3:15AM- Alright I waited long enough I HAVE to get up.  I try to be stealth as I can and sneak out of bed with out waking Jimmy.  It's pretty easy because he sleeps like a ROCK.  We have a bathroom inside our bedroom so I head into the bathroom and turn on the shower.  While the shower warms up I walk into my disaster of a closet.  Clothes are strewn everywhere and I have no idea where to start in finding something to wear.  I remember that I am going live from CrossFit 616 and that I'll be working out, making my decisions a little easier I choose my favorite, "Groot" (Guardians of the Galaxy) shirt, and a pair of running capris.
3:30AM- Time is not on my side at this point as I race downstairs and pour a cup of coffee.  I grab my keys and am off to work.  On the way to work I have a playlist I play religiously that wakes me up and gets me ready to face the day.  They are all old, rock songs, because that's my jam ;)
3:50- I arrive at work and drop my stuff by my desk and everyone looks up, groggy, and tired giving me nods of the head, and meager waves hello.  I fire up my computer and check my emails from the previous night.
4:15AM- We have a morning news meeting.  Everyone gathers around our executive producers computer to pitch stories, find out where we are going out to, learn about weather for the day etc.
4:30AM- We are on to my favorite part of my morning.  I head into the dressing room and do my hair and makeup for the show.  Our anchor Deanna and breaking news reporter Nicole also stumble in and we talk about anything and everything as we get ready.  We normally have at least one thing that makes us laugh out loud.
5:30AM- It's time to leave.  My photographer James, and I hop into a live show truck and head out to Crossfit 616.  It's right in Grand Rapids so it's not a very long drive.  Some stories require us to leave much earlier and drive upwards of 60 minutes.  We go inside and I meet the owner, prep him for our live interviews, and try to find unqiue angles for our television segments. (One of the videos posted below)

9:00AM- My stomach is rumbling because as usual I haven't ate yet and forgot to pack something to eat.  Running on black coffee and a mug of hot tea, James and I make a stop on the way home and I order egg white, and cheese on an english muffin. (No meat today because I TRY to stay good with "meatless Mondays.") After breakfast we head into the station to write up a story to play during our midday news at 11AM, and our 4PM news.
11:30AM- I finish up my last bit of work and head out.  It is a super cold day so I don't really feel like running outside, especially after all the injuries I have had these last few months.  Instead I go to the gym and do a 30 minute bike work out, followed by 4 miles on the treadmill at a quick 7:20 pace.
12:30PM- I stop by Meijer on my way home and by groceries, like I mentioned earlier it is Monday and I had decided to try something other than meat and participate in "Meatless Monday"  I settle on a sweet potato chili.  I get all the ingredients I need plus a few I don't, and finally head home.
1:00PM-3:00PM- After putting all my ingredients for the chili into the crock pot I settle on the couch to watch one of my shows.  (I'm obsessed with "Chuck" and usually settle on that) Today I am extra tired though and unintentionally doze off.
3:30PM- I scold myself for falling asleep because a nap can be a morning persons worst nightmare, especially when it hits 7:30 and I need to actually fall asleep.  My dog Olives is barking and looks restless so I take her for a 20 minute walk, feed her, and then clean the house a little bit.
4:30PM- My chili is done so I have a big bowl (too big) along with some tortilla chips on the side.  Watch 2 episodes of "Chuck"
6:00PM- Jimmy is finally home from work and I have about an hour with him to hang out before I have to go off to bed.  He is a big "Chuck" fan so he settles on the couch and watches with me.  Not long after I make my way upstairs to do my bed time rituals.  Tonight I make the same mistake as Sunday night and read from my book until 8:30PM.  It seems like only minutes go by when I hear the alarm blaring that it is 3:30AM and time to go back to work...

So, there you have it; a day in my life. Kind of boring isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Boring!? Heck no! You are amazing my friend, and as I said the other day, I am SO proud of you and how far you have come! Thanks for the shout out! So glad we are still so close :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am proud of you as well! I was not kidding when I say you inspire me on a regular basis. Can't wait for the Picucci/Muir wedding this summer! =)

      Delete