Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I am one of the 2%

Intersex, that's a word that for me was very scary.  It meant admitting that I was different from you; different from other woman and that scared the shit out of me.

If this term is new to you, intersex simply means: A person born with genitals, hormones or chromosomes that don't fit typical definitions of male and female.

I am intersex and so is approximately 2% of the population!


Once I finally just came out with it, "I am an intersex woman" I thought everything would be different.  I thought people would say terrible things to me, I underestimated you, I thought you would judge me and call me names.  I thought you would say things to make me question myself, or worse make my friends and family question me.

But you didn't.  In fact you welcomed me with open arms.  The flooding of support in my inbox has been tremendous!  I have never felt so accepted in my entire life!  All my worries have been erased and now I just want to keep the conversations going.  I may be the only intersex person you know, but I am not the only intersex person here... there are a LOT of us.

I wrote an article for InterACT, an organization working to stop unnecessary surgeries on intersex children.  If you haven't checked it out, click HERE.  I will soon have another article I wrote for West Michigan Woman, it talks more about my experience and my surgery that was done at 15.

I am writing this to just keep the conversation going, if you have questions or want more information, that's totally cool!  Ask me, if the way you ask is rude or offensive (even if you don't mean it that way) I may correct you, just because words are the most important thing we have when we tell our stories to someone.  But don't be afraid to ask! 

If you want more information on InterACT and the work they are doing everyday click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing and beautiful person Jackie.

    ReplyDelete